How It All Began
- The first type of ballet started during the Renaissance time, in Italy, around the 1400’s.
- The French adopted ballet and made further development in the late 1400’s.
- French ballet had minimum plot because of rich costumes, scenery, and elaborate effects.
- Court ballets reached their ending point in 1643-1715 because of King Louis XIV staring in his ballet as the Sun King.
- In 1661 King Louis XIV established a professional dance registration for what he called “Dancing Masters”. That was the start of pro- dancers.
- The first female dancers started in 1681. They wore hoop skirts, headdress, and tons of make-up. Men wore a knee length hoopskirt, or called a tonnlet.
- Romantic ballet started in Paris in 1832.
Source: Dance 101 – Weebly.com